A vertically integrated business model that brings optometrists into townships, reducing the cost of glasses drastically and helping the community it serves in the following ways:
- Black Entrepreneurship Development
- Job Creation in community
- Development of Township Economies
- Reduce Uncorrected Refractive Error
Through donations and Project Cat-Eye we are looking to offer free eye tests to all people in need, and free tests and glasses for all children in our KidsCFree Program.
How big is the problem?
In 2016 the population of South Africa was 55,6 million. According to some report in the recent past, we can note the following:
- Living in poverty, earning less than R992 per month = 30,4 million people
- Living in extreme poverty, earning less than R441 per month = 13,8 million people
- No schooling, older than 20yrs = 2 386 810
- Difficulty seeing = 5 111 315 (most of any disability)
- Unemployment rate = 27,7%
People without medical aid cover
Only 18% of people in South Africa have medical aid coverage, with 88,70% of black people not covered. Nearly 45 million South Africans will have to pay cash when they go for an eye test and need glasses.
To make optometry accessible to all.
We seek to:
- Develop Black Entrepreneurs in the optometry industry
- Create jobs in poor townships
- Develop township economies through improved vision
- Reduce uncorrected refractive error in South Africa
Through the support and structure of our social business model, we empower black optometrists to start and run their own community practices and earn a good, sustainable income.
Through our multiple VisionBOX Community Practices’s, we aim to create hundreds of job opportunities in the middel of rural townships where employment is scares and economic growth is much needed. All our VisionBOX’s will need cleaning personnel, receptionists and security staff.
Development of Township Economies
People with poor vision cannot read, get their drivers licence, nor can they operate a forklift or truck. By improving their vision, we equip them with the necessaries requirements to start their own business, find employment, earn money and grow the township economies as a result.
Reduce Uncorrected Refractive Error
Our business model has the ability to eradicate the number one cause of visual impairment (uncorrected refractive error) in South Africa.
Do you want to get involved?
To make this model work, we need assistance from all parts of the community. If you would like more information, feel free to contact us.
Donate with Zapper